While that image does describe daily life for some teenagers, we recognize that urban youth ministry isn’t just about reaching out to the inner city. It’s less about a street address and more about a generation stuck in survival mode—students struggling with their identity, with families that are hurting and broken, existing rather than living. Your passion as a youth worker is to see those teenagers move to a place of thriving in Christ.
That’s why we created LIVE Urban. These 16 lessons move beyond urban stereotypes and creatively engage your students in dynamic conversations built around four fundamental themes: parents, self-image, friendships, and the need to belong.
LIVE Urban will help teenagers grow healthy spiritual lives rooted in a Christ-centered understanding of who they are. They’ll discover biblical wisdom on relationships, including knowing when to end friendships that are unhealthy, destructive, or dangerous. And they’ll explore the rewards of investing in their reputation at home, not just their reputation with their friends.
BONUS: Because of the unique challenges and opportunities of urban ministry, we also have developed additional tools for communicating with parents after each lesson. Connecting with parents allows them to know you are partnering with them in the lives of their son or daughter. A changed parent = a changed family = a changed neighborhood = a changed community.
- I Just Want to Belong
- Your Parents: Who’s in Charge?
- Self-Image vs. God’s Image
- What About Your Friends?
• Identify Me – (Colossians 1:9-23)
• Who’s My Daddy? – (Genesis 22:1-18)
• Child of God – (Romans 8)
• Walk Like God’s Kid – (1 John 3)
• What Does Honoring Even Mean? – (Ephesians 6:1-4)
• Home Cred Is as Important as Street Cred – (Luke 2:41-52)
• Can We Learn to Communicate? – (James 3:1-18)
• Why Can’t We Just Get Along? – (Ephesians 4:17-32)
• What I See When I Look in the Mirror – (Psalm 139)
• What the World Says About Me – (Romans 12)
• What My Friends See When They Look at Me – (1 Samuel 18:1-16; 19:1-12; 20:1-42)
• Christ’s Reflection in Me – (2 Corinthians 3)
• Who’s in Your Space? – (Proverbs 12)
• The “BFF” Standard – (2 Corinthians 6:14-18)
• Dealing With Conflict in Friendships – (Matthew 18:15-17)
• Saying Goodbye – (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8)